Thursday 14 October 2010

September part 1- The Return of live poker and the craic of the UKIPT Dublin

In September, after the month long MTT online grind I decided it was time for some live poker and thankfully during September, London is the poker central with the WPT, WSOPE and the EPT all being played here. First stop however was to Dublin to play the UKIPT. Was a 500+60 euro buy in and attracted 589 runners so felt it was definitely a good start to the month. After the last month of MTT I felt really good and felt I could try and take it down. 1st day was interesting day of poker I sat at the same table as JP Kelly (Pokerstars Pro & 2 WSOP bracelet holder) so felt it was a great challenge to play of someone of that calibre.

The action was crazy with about 3 or 4 locals getting knocked out all on big bluffs so managed just to sit there playing very hands playing some premiums and just using position to gain some chips and it was going really well. After 1st break was on about 27k so was happy as made a few nice 3 bet and 4 bet bluffs and picked up some chips from just picking up some weaknesses from a few of the weaker players at the table. I made a real good fold at the time with 22 on a J29 board with a lot of action on the flop I could of 5bet jammed but picked up something on one of the players and knew my set wasn’t good but I knew I had the other guy beat I made the lay down anyway and they both flip over one had J2 for 2 pairs and the other tabled 99 for a better set) I was really happy as even though I lost a few chips I was still in it and my reads were working well. Unfortunately, due to some coolers and being card dead I couldn’t improve my stack by much and at the end of the day I ended with about 28k which was below average for the start of day 2.

New table on day 2 and I knew I needed to double up quick as blinds were 1/2k at the time I believe I managed to go all in after the fifth hand with AQss on an AQ10 board only to be called by 1010, turn gave me outs as a spade was turned round but a 3 of hearts on the river sent me packing. Was a fun tournament and was nice to have a few drinks with some of the poker guys playing the event and the craic was good as expected playing in Ireland.

Was great meeting Sofia Lovgren (the new PKR Pro) who was playing the same event. Unfortunately she also busted half way through day 2 but then moved on to play some cash. Great person to chat with and can play some serious poker.  Dublin was a whole lot of fun and was the perfect warm up for the WSOPE.

No comments:

Post a Comment